Thursday, September 25, 2008

Reverse Lane Update

For thirty years, the reverse lanes, or so called suicide lanes, have cut through our neighborhoods in an effort to speed traffic on its way to the northern suburbs of our city.

These lanes were put in place before we had the 51, and before the upgrades to the I-17 freeway.

Our neighborhoods have been fighting to remove these lanes for years. I am happy to say that we are making progress towards that goal, but still have a long way to go.

On October 7th, my colleagues and I will be holding a study session to discuss the future of these lanes, and whether they stay, go, or are in some way changed to make them work better.

Personally, I would like to see them go. They are a dangerous aspect of our area that encourage speeding, cause way too many accidents, cut our neighborhoods in half, and make it difficult for our businesses to thrive.

Some of my colleagues agree with me, and some do not. I encourage you to let them know just how you feel about these lanes, so that they may fully understand the impact they have on our central city and our quality of life in general.

Source: Councilman Tom Simplot, District 4 News

No comments: