Friday, June 17, 2011

Reverse Lanes Update

Reverse lane changes are coming soon this summer. I was pleased to see my fellow Phoenix City Council members join me on a vote Wednesday night to address traffic safety concerns on the "Sevens," including the installation of a new left turn signal at 7th Avenue and Camelback Road. This is the first major change on these streets in 30 years! In addition, Streets Dept. will install new flashing beacons/lights and replace old signs with signs featuring universal traffic symbols. Click here to see a mock-up of the new signs.

This contentious issue was difficult to negotiate and I've appreciated your support, participation and comments during this long process. Although elimination of the reverse lanes was the ultimate goal, I felt strongly about and fought hard for the left turn signal at this major intersection to help ease cut-through traffic in our neighborhoods. Once implemented, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on whether these upgrades improve traffic concerns on the “Sevens” for our central city residents and businesses.

Source: Tom Simplot, Phoenix District 4 Councilman

No comments: